Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Best TV Dramas

Just to be clear, since some people have not been able to keep up, this is a list of dramas. Dramas, meaning not comedies. Just kidding Colin. But seriously, this is a list of dramas.

1. 24. I'm not sure how good the last season of 24 was, but every season before 2009 was awesome. I used to watch on DVD or DVR because the suspense from episode to episode was too much. I just couldn't wait for the next episode. My favorite was the season where Jack went to Mexico. Although the first four seasons were all incredible. The novelty factor of the show is also noteworthy.

2. Law and Order. This show contributed to my desire to be a lawyer in a major way. Jack McCoy is one of my favorite characters of all time. This, in my opinion, is the best cop show and the best lawyer show at the same time. Even some the spin offs are pretty good. SVU and CI were good. The trial bureau show was a flop, but how much did Lenny's death have to do with that?

3. The Wire. I had seen a few episodes from time to time over the years. Not having HBO in my apartment contributed to this fact. But, after the bar exam, my cousin (who also took the bar in California [Hi Jay!]) and I managed to watch the entire series in less than 2 weeks. Ok, there are about 60 hours of the show, total, but I still think that was a lot of TV. And, after the bar, it was great to be able to sit and watch as compared to sit and study. Each season is different with some carryover of characters. This is a GREAT show. If you haven't seen it, drop everything and watch. I'll wait. You can read the rest of this post later. Trust me.

4. Lost. Ok, I'll admit I was obsessed with this show. I didn't watch it until before this past season, but I caught up on DVD quickly. I got season 1 for my mom for Christmas and "borrowed" the DVDs once. I watched all of season 1 when I was sick once in almost one day. I couldn't move from the couch. Season 1 was that good. In my opinion, and I know this won't be popular, but I think each season has gotten worse and worse over time. I will say that only last season was disappointing. The first 4 were great, but they got worse and worse.

5. The Sopranos. This was such a good show. Most of you know I love all gangster movies, especially mafia movies. This was like a 60 minute gangster movie every Sunday. I even enjoy re-watching some of the episodes. So many of the characters had been on other shows or movies as gangsters before, and this just added to the success of the show.

6. Rome. I don't know how many of you watches this two season show, but it was one of HBO's best shows. As far as I could tell, the show was pretty accurate historically. The plot was riveting. My only complaint is that I wish there were more episodes.

7. House. I know this isn't the most "realistic" medical show on TV, but I just like it. Maybe it's because I'm not a doctor (I do pretend to have medical knowledge all the time though), but the lack of reality or authenticity just doesn't bother me. Plus, House is so sarcastic. Clearly, I find that funny. There's also something to be said for his lack of political correctness, which, frankly, I love.

8. Homicide: Life on the Street. This was another great cop show. It was like Law and Order, but only the first thirty minutes. It followed the police half of Law and Order. The second best show about cops and the second best show about Baltimore.

9. The X-Files. Before this became all about aliens, this was a good show. The episode about the Chinese Lottery and the episode about the African who ate people's pituitary glands are two of the best episodes. I remember being freaked out when I saw them. Also the show about the crazy incestuous family in Pennsylvania was freaky. Great show when it wasn't only about aliens. Sure, some of the alien stuff was good, but in the end, it consumed the show.

10. I'm reserving #10 for the shows I've heard are good but haven't watched. And, who says it has to be a top 10 list? I'm not David Letterman. (Are you enjoying the shrimp?) CSI, Friday Night Lights, and the West Wing.

Ok, what did I leave out? What should I have watched or included? Please don't make any Walker: Texas Ranger jokes.

9 comments:

Jordy said...

None of you has probably seen Battlestar Galactica. Give it a chance. It's one of my favorite shows of all time.

My advice: start from the beginning. I'll give you the DVDs if you'd like to borrow them.

Colin said...

Jordy, no one likes Star Trek.

Vik Vij said...

Jordy, I've heard some good things about Battlestar Galactica but I'm not that in to Science Fiction and all that jazz.

I know some of the people who read this blog have watched it and or own the DVDs.

Colin said...

I didn't know that TV only had sitcoms and Dramas. Does Survivor fit either of those categories? Just a hint, Biggest Loser is the best reality tv show ever.

FYI, Jordy is a Cylon.

Vik Vij said...

Colin, quit asking in (not so thinly) veiled comments for blog topics. I've already planned the reality TV post. It will be posted sometime tonight.

Let the other people go in fresh, if I can quote Frank Costanza.

Jordy said...

Colin, no one likes YOU.

Vik, one could argue that Lost is very much a science fiction show. Battlestar is as much science fiction as Lost.

They don't get too much into the alieny/spacey aspect like a Star Trek. It's basically a show about survival/war/humanity that just happens to be set in space. They do a really good job of developing characters and bringing resolution to questions. One of my biggest gripes with Lost is that you have to wait 3 seasons for something to be resolved or revealed.

Vik Vij said...

Jordy, that annoys me so much about Lost. Give me some answers now, or at least this season, dammit!

You're right about the science fiction aspect of Lost, as well, Jordy. It's no secret that as the show has become more sci fi, I've liked it less and less. You should have seen the people at the Lost Party I went to last year for the finale at Gizmo's house. I told them the show sucked and they almost attacked me with plastic forks.

Jordy said...

If you told me some dude claimed to be a level-8 wizard, threw some 20-sided dice at you, and attempted to cast a spell, I wouldn't be shocked.

Mr. Watkins said...

LOST is beautiful in all phases. But I know its not for everyone. That is all. Jordy, Battlestar is in my Netflix.