Tuesday, January 5, 2010

There's no such thing is a small role...Part 1

I don't really know how that line goes or what it means, but whatever. It works as a title.

Anyway, let's get straight to the point. There are certain characters in TV shows (and movies too, but I'm sticking to TV right now) that don't play central roles. They aren't stars. But they bring something big to the table.

Usually there is some humor involved or some sort of quirk. The show would go on without these characters, but they make the show better, undoubtedly. Let's make our way to the list. (Finally, before the list, keep in mind that this is in no particular order. It's just how they came to mind.)

1. Chloe from 24. You know who she is. The quirky/witchy (you know what I mean) computer analyst who handles everything computer related for hero Jack Bauer. Her interactions with other characters is downright hilarious. We all know people like that. Good at what they do but have ZERO personal skills. This is her, to a tee. Priceless.

2. Ted from Scrubs. Good lord, every time old Teddy boy is on the screen, I start laughing. He's such a loser. Bald as a cue ball, completely incompetent. But priceless. It's great when Kelso (and everyone, really) treats him like garbage. The incident with the dog being smarter than Ted...gold. And let's not forget the singing. Oh, the singing.

3. Clay Davis from The Wire. He is best known for being a corrupt state Senator, but if you ask me, his best attribute is the way he elongates the "S", "H", and "I" in one of America's favorite curse words. Really adds some humor to the show. Also he has a cool mustache.

4. Eddie from Frasier. Great looking dog. And a great actor, too. I don't know if everyone considers a dog an actor, but this dog is great. Barking at the right times. Running at the right times. Starting at Frasier at the right times. Pure comedic talent.

5. Jackie Chiles from Sienfeld. You may know him as Kramer's attorney. Loosely based on Johnnie Cochrane, Jackie could rhyme anything in a legal setting. He would throw down words that made no sense but still sounded good with the best of them. Take it back, he must have been based on Al Sharpton.

Well, that's part 1. I'll add some more another time.

8 comments:

Mr. Watkins said...

I think you mean Chloe, not Janice.

Vik Vij said...

yeah, brain fart there. i'd been watching season 7 with janice and chloe, and, well, botched it.

Mr. Watkins said...

you're right though, she IS hilarious.

Jordy said...

The Simpsons is pretty much based around Homer and 'side' characters.

My favs:
Krusty the Klown
Chief Wiggum
Professor Frink
Mr. Burns

"Hello, my name is Mr. Burns. I believe you have a letter for me."

"Ok, Mr. Burns. What's your first name?"

"...I don't know..."

Vik Vij said...

Jordy, those Simpson's characters are all so good. I guess you can call them minor characters but I'm not sure I would.

dekalb said...

Creed from the office. Everytime he is on the screen=comedic gold.

J said...

What about "Robot Dance Guy" from Chapelle's show?? Or Charlie Murphy for that matter

Vik Vij said...

all of chappelle show characters are gold. pure gold.