Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Let's go streaking

We're going streaking...bring your green hat.

(click the link, people)

Well, besides being generally funny, that clip has nothing to do with what I'm talking about.

(Disclaimer: Although not as much as Luke or Jay, I'm not to be confused with a fan, per se, of ESPN. I think it has too much influence on sports and does more than provide news and information on sports, which I consider nothing more than entertainment. On to the post.)

The streak that I am talking about, however, is ESPN's Streak for the Cash. Now, for those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, I'll (briefly) explain. Users, in this case me, pick the winners of certain predetermined games on espn.com. There's no money involved, except at the end of the contest. You have to correctly choose 27 (used to be 25 before BigSam1122 won) games in a row and you win a million bucks. Also, each month, the person who correctly chooses the most games (not in a row) wins $2500.

I'm not advocating gambling on sports on the internet. That is currently illegal and I would never advise you to do anything illegal (not that I'm giving you legal advise -- that would be, ironically, illegal at this point in time).

Even though I know (ok, I hope but I'm fairly confident) I won't be able to win any money, suddenly I care a lot more about random sporting games. Some could argue I already cared too much about sports. It's just interesting to see if you can pick games correctly. My longest streak so far has been eight in a row. If anyone wants to make a side bet (gentleman's bet only, please) on their streak or month's output, I'm game.

You can't just pick any game. ESPN puts close games on the list. Most games involve road favorites, and if you know anything about sports, its fear the home underdogs. Especially in college sports. I'm re-learning this lesson. Slowly. But, I really enjoy picking games while I'm at work or at school (from my home computer or iPhone) and coming home to see my streak extended. For example, Everton (who I hadn't really heard of before) tied Liverpool today, my streak extended. Of course, I blew it when I took the team that 99.3% of America chose, but I digress.

Two weeks ago, I was thoroughly pissed when Dallas blew a game to the Milwaukee Bucks, who were playing without their two best players. Man, was I pissed. I lost last weekend when, contrary to ESPN's report, Danny Granger played (and dominated) and ended my streak after I picked again the Pacers. I just lost today when #4 Wake Forest lost to Miami (Miami!!!) in basketball. Here's my point. I think ESPN puts suspect (at best) information out there so that nobody will win the million bucks again.

I'll grant you that this post is not funny, but the subject is fun and entertaining, and that's what this blog is about.

1 comment:

Mr. Watkins said...

I care SO much about my "streak." I'm barely above .500. Why do I keep betting on golf?