Saturday, April 25, 2009

D-Day

No, I'm not talking about storming beaches or shooting at Germans. I'm talking about the NFL draft. This is probably my favorite non-holiday day of the year. Sure, there's Opening Day in baseball and the Super Bowl, but the draft is truly my favorite. Even when it's not draft day, I love being able to tell people where a certain player went to college, when he was drafted, his 40 time, and all down the line. I'll admit it, I'm a little obsessive about the draft. You know how kids are the day before Christmas? That's how I am the day before the draft. It's a little weird, I realize. Stop trying to change me.

For those of you who aren't utterly obsessed with sports, now may be a good time to stop reading. At the same time, you might want to stick around and learn something about me. And isn't that why we're all here? To learn about our fellow man? Ok, enough of that drivel.

Ever since Madden Football came up with Dynasty Mode, where you could run a team for a number of seasons, I've been obsessed with running a football team. My absolute dream job would be a general manager of an NFL team. On Madden, I would usually simulate all the games and skip ahead to the off season, specifically the draft. Even on a video game, I was thoroughly entertained by drafting football players.

Now, back to real life. Watching the draft has always been a big deal. Throw some steaks on the grill, call your buddies up and make a day of it. It's really the ultimate football fan (read:male) bonding experience. This is not to say women don't or can't watch, but honestly how many women are going to argue about a wide receiver from Rutgers time and his time in the 40 yard dash and whether that means he can play the X receiver spot for the Giants? I love predicting which player will be a bust or who will be an all-pro. I love predicting the picks before they happen. I read about the draft year round. I devour mock drafts.

I realize becoming a GM for an NFL team is a long shot. Wes and I joked it would be more likely that one of us became an owner rather than a GM. I suppose if I can't be a GM, the next Mel Kiper wouldn't be so bad. Or maybe Adam Schefter. I don't like putting gel in my hair.

So, what is your favorite non-holiday day of the year?

1 comment:

Mr. Watkins said...

nfl opening day (sunday, not thursday). its the beginning of what is the best part of the year (also have college FB, NBA starting, and penant races going on), there's so much action, so many surprises, and 5 months worth of sundays to look forward to.