Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Yes, it's another list of random people or places or things

So, it's finals time. But you already knew that.

The frequency of random questions and thoughts is through the roof. Especially since you spend 8 to 12 hours a day in a room with the same person. It's like prison, only without anything gross. And I'll just leave it at that.

Anyway, the random comment from today is from none other than Will McMillan. Shocker there, huh?

So, as background, in our second semester of law school, Will and I saw "300" in the IMAX before we wrote our appellate briefs. It really pumped us up and we both finished our papers shortly thereafter. Since, then, our running joke has been to go back to the IMAX for motivation before finals. So, Will suggested we see "Earth" because it is narrated by James Earl Jones and that James Earl Jones is the coolest old actor. I told William he was flat-out wrong and that I could come up with ten cooler actors over 50. So, here is the list (in no particular order) with some help from Will, Abbie and Wikipedia.

1. Samuel L. Jackson. Greatest curser of all time. Enough said. Plus, he's been in over 100 movies.

2. Jack Nicholson. The Joker, Col. Jessup, As Good as it Gets.

3. Sean Connery. Not only is he Scottish, but he was the best James Bond and the best on Celebrity Jeopardy.

4. Bill Murray. Seriously, do I need to tell you why?

5. Morgan Freeman. Narrating "Shawshank" is enough for me.

6. Anthony Hopkins.

7. Tommy Lee Jones. Bonus points because his nephew went to St. John's.

8. Harvey Kietel. Mr. Wolf.

9. James Earl Jones. Wait, you're telling me the point of this list was to come up with ten actors over 50 who are cooler than James Earl? Oh, whoops. Well, in my defense, he is pretty cool. I never said he wasn't. Ok, if I have to choose somebody else, I'll go with Willie Nelson. He was in Half Baked, so he counts as an actor. If you don't like Willie Nelson, you might as well move to Canada. So, just to be clear, I am not picking James Earl Jones to be on the list. It was a joke that I'm not sure Will got. I'm going with Willie Nelson.

10. Christopher Walken. Suicide Kings, Pulp Fiction, The Milagro Bean Field War (ok, that last one sucked)

Honorable mention goes to Danny De Vito (only because of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia), Steve Buscemi and John Malcovich.

6 comments:

Mr. Watkins said...

You skipped 9. For 9 I suggest Denzel, Daniel Day Lewis, or Michael Caine

Jordy said...

I doubt any of you has seen Battlestar Galactica (if you haven't, I HIGHLY recommend Netflixing the first season. It's an amazing show, better than Lost). Anyway, Edward James Olmos is the captain, and he's a total badass. He has this low, raspy voice. He doesn't yell, but looks at you like don't mess with him or he's gonna rip your head off. Anyway, there's my plug.

Unknown said...

Since I was personally called out twice, here is my list:

1. James Earl Jones
2. James Earl Jones
3. James Earl Jones
4. James Earl Jones
5. James Earl Jones
6. James Earl Jones
7. James Earl Jones
8. James Earl Jones
9. James Earl Jones
10. James Earl Jones

Clear enough Vik? And yes, I did get the "joke."

Colin said...

Isn't battlestar galactica the same as Star Trek?

Colin said...

Also shouldn't you be studying? And be quiet.

Jordy said...

Battlestar Galactica is similar to Star Trek in that they're in a ship in space...but that's about where the comparison ends.

Again, just watch the 3-hour special that sets up the whole story (1st disc of season 1).

Vik, you have extra time not studying for finals.