Sunday, April 5, 2009

Leave Barrack Obama Alone

Ok, let's start out with the obvious. This is not a political blog, and, except on the night of the election, I've steered clear of politics. Some of the most touchy subjects are religion and politics. This is not a political issue. So don't overreact and accuse me of anything. Repeat, this is NOT about politics.

As a disclaimer, I will say I am an Obama fan. Did I wish he had more executive leadership before became our President? Sure. But, at the same time, change was needed, and, so far, it seems as though he hasbeen the changed we needed. Granted, not much has happened yet, but just a new face in the office seems to be a start in the right direction. Do I think Obama is the next Lincoln? No, but that is a tough comparison to make on anything other than a superficial level. Lincoln was one of the top three Presidents (arguably number one) in our history; Obama just recently completed his first 100 days in office. But hey, they were both Senators from Illinois.

Ok, I promised this wouldn't get political, so before I break my promise, let me make my point. I'm sick and tired of hearing about every little thing that happens to Obama. If his wife gave Queen Elizabeth an iPod, I don't care. And neither should you. Why would anyone care about that? I realize some people are calling Obama the first celebrity President, but this is going too far. I don't care what he lives to eat, where he goes for his morning jog, his favorite websites, how he bowls, or any such nonsense. I want to know what Presidential duties he is performing and how he is performing them. Do I care what Obama's Final Four picks are? Nope, sure don't. All I'll say about that is I got 3 out of 4 and I'm pulling for UNC tomorrow so I can get second place in, uhh, a bracket for, uhh, pride and, uhh, honor. That's it, pride and honor and cash. Whoops.

Anyway, back to Obama. I don't want to sound like the guy (Stephen Crag) who said he was not Mark Twain (NOT safe for work: profanity), but leave Barrack Obama alone. Let the man (I'm not being sexist Laura and Abbie, he is a man...I'm stating a fact, so relax) do his job. Let him lead our country. There is a war going on. Our economy is not exactly booming. But Obama's choice for First Dog leads the evening news. Or whether he used his middle name when talking to Nicolas Sarkozy and what that means for our national security. Get with the freakin' program, people.

10 comments:

Shaq said...

Stick with sports jackass

Unknown said...

It appears you missed the evolution of this phenomenon over the past five to ten years. Do you know who led the trend? ESPN.

Taking their cameras off the playing surfaces and into the personal lives of people like Shaq, LeBron, Tom Brady, and even Roger Clemens was the first step in all of this mess. This is the reason every time I turn on SportsCenter and see "Who's Now" or one of the other fluff segments, I blink back a tear and change the channel.

Vik Vij said...

I agree with your point, Luke, but I disagree that it was ESPN.

I think it was the popularization of news magazine shows as well as the advent of the 24 hour news cycle. There just had to be SOMETHING on tv at all times, even if it was mindless drivel. Especially if it was mindless drivel.

Vik Vij said...

Shaq, my sports post are on texansgab.com, my new blog.

LegalBeagle said...

Here, Here, although I will say that Obama is partially to blame for all this "intrusive" exposure given his MANY public appearances, televised "talks to America" and late night talk show appearances. I think he relishes his celebrity status to a certain extent, and I'm beginning to worry he cares more about which side is his good side and less about fixing the country.

Let it be known that I'm a Democrat and voted for him, so I think I have the right to voice my concerns.

LegalBeagle said...

Is it "here, here" or "hear, hear"? I think it's the latter, now that I think about it. Oh well.

Vik Vij said...

Thanks for your input. I think BHO does, to some extent, like his celebrity. Laura, this is America. We always have the right to voice our concerns. Thanks to something I like to call the Constitution.

"For purple moutain's magesty, for amber waves of grain."

Mr. Watkins said...

i should get part of your money since i was a contributor to you getting your SECOND bracket into the mix. more importantly, GO TAR HEELS!!!

Jordy said...

Barrack Obama is BLACK?

Hey, it worked in Blazing Saddles.

Fathertime said...

I agree with you Vik. Don't let the folks at Fox News get to you. Many of their commentators and reporters seem to be extremely bitter about the fact that Obama is running this country. I don't know exactly why, but I have a few ideas.

As for you LegalBeagle, breach in, breath out, and relax. Your vote will not go to waste, trust me. You have a President that is articulate, intelligent, respectful, firm, and confident. He is working extremely hard to turn this country around. He doesn't have to go around bragging about how patriotic he is because he shows us everyday when he wakes up early in the morning and goes to work in that Oval Office. Please, do not let the media get to you and play mind games with you. The media sucks, and they are to blame for your mindset right now. Trust, your President is concerned and eager to change this country around and make it the best America it can be. Yes, he is different from what you have seen in the past. GW and his staff only spoke to us when they felt they HAD to. They were extremely secretive and withdrawn. Obama wants to stay connected to the people and keep moral up as much as possible. The President taking a break to engage the American people as to what is going on is not a problem. Now, you may have disagreements as to what venues he chooses and how often he chooses to do and that is fine, but he is trying his best. Would you rather have your President operate in secrecy? Would you rather not hear from himi, kinda out of site and out of mind? It is always easy to sit back and play Monday morning quarterback. He has only been in office three months. Please. Please. Breathe in, breathe out, and let the man work to change things. Were you an expert at your job in three months? C'mon, lets give him some more time to work things out.

"Don't worry, be happy...and everything is going to be alrite...just have a little faith, and pray for the best..."

Well I am going to step down from my soapbox, take my two cents back (it is a reccession and I need all of the money I can get), and chunk the peace sign!