Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Major Development

Who doesn't like salt? Who doesn't like bacon? What about a combination of the two? What if I told you that such a product existed? Now, here is the twist: it is low sodium, zero calorie, zero fat, vegetarian and kosher. Yes, bacon salt exists. Their tag line is "Everything should taste like bacon." Beautiful.

I don't know how it is kosher. I don't know how it doesn't have calories. I don't know how it's vegetarian. I don't know how it is low in sodium. And I don't know how it has no fat. It's bacon. And it's salt. It's a combination of the two. A trult magical combination. But, somehow it works. Who am I to question it?

Bacon Salt comes in 9 flavors. Original, hickory, peppered, natural, apple wood, maple, cheddar, jalapeno, and mesquite. Apparently, you can put it on anything you would add salt to. There is even a product these fine people make called Baconnaise, which a bacon spread. Apparently, mayonnaise needed more bacon flavor. Who knew? Has anyone tried this product? Jordy? These are things I need to know.

I'm buying stock, if possible.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

i'm shaking my head at you, vikram

Jordy said...

I actually mix Baconaise into my morning coffee....no, no that would be just gross. I hate coffee.

When I first read your post, I thought it was some cruel April Fool's joke. But, I am so excited to get my hands on some bacon flavored salt and mayonaise that I'm thinking about going into the bathroom and releasing my excitement all over the stall wall.

FUNG! said...

At Vik's request:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/squeez-bacon.html

Betsy said...

they make bacon extract. it's in the catalog we have at work. AND they make bacon spray. like spray-on bacon flavor. (perfect for a close your eyes and open your mouth joke.)

Betsy said...

they make bacon extract. it's in the catalog we have at work. AND they make bacon spray. like spray-on bacon flavor. (perfect for a close your eyes and open your mouth joke.)

Crystal@TheFastFitRunner.com said...

I read your blog all the time....now is the time for a comment.

I am not so much a fan of bacon....nor salt. This product doesn't appeal to me. However, I am still amazed at all the qualities it possesses (low sodium, kosher??)

Jordy said...

I agree with Crystal. How did they manage low sodium salt? I'm not much with chemistry but isn't table salt SODIUM chloride?

How do you turn a 'pig' (or whatever they used) into bacon in a Kosher fashion? Is the pig circumcized?

FUNG! said...

So it occurred to me the other night how they made all this bacon flavor without bacon, and I debated whether or not to let my nerd show, but I guess it's not a secret that I'm a dork.

Most meat, primarily pork/bacon products, are treated with sodium nitrate (Na2NO3) or sodium nitrite (NaNO2) as a preservative and it also gives the meat a slightly dark red color, which people perceive as "fresh." Most likely it's sodium nitrate, b/c sodium nitrite is toxic if you're not careful (read: fatty).

Anyway, to get low sodium, I would guess they just add more (NO3)2- (basically Na2NO3, without the Na+ part) so you get a higher concentration of the "flavor." Therefore, it's "low sodium." The rest of the flavors can be done through spices.

As for kosher, maybe they make kosher chemicals, but I didn't think any chemicals were kosher. But I don't think I'm the authority on kosher. Might want to consult a rabbi, or Lasky.