Monday, March 30, 2009

Meat and potatoes kind of guy

With graduation around the corner, I was discussing with my family where we would go out to dinner to celebrate. For me, it was an easy choice. A steakhouse. A nice filet, medium rare. Some sort of potatoes. A salad, some dessert. A single malt. Seems just about perfect. Call me old fashioned, but I'm just a meat and potatoes kind of guy. I'm not saying it has to be a rubbery steak and soggy french fries, but sometimes simple is better. At the same time, I don't want to dress up in a tuxedo or a polished beaver fur top hat to eat, but a nice happy middle ground seems just about perfect.

Question for you guys: If you were celebrating a special occasion, such as graduating from law school or some other event, what kind of food would you eat? Leave comments with your ideas. Thanks, and have a nice day.

9 comments:

Jordy said...

I agree with you, Vik. Steak and potatoes. OR, you could take one from the Simpsons:

Homer: I'll have your finest dish stuffed with you second finest.

Waiter: Ah, very good, lobster stuffed with tacos.

Jordy said...

Thank you, Vik for correcting me. Just to be clear to everybody, it's actually Moe, not homer, that requests lobster stuffed with tacos.

As usual, I bow to your superior intelligence.

LegalBeagle said...

Well, I'm not a "guy" but I'm a meat and potatoes (french fried only) gal. Dickie Brennan's was always my favorite place in NOLA and where we went for graduation. Can't beat a good steak... or catch phrase. BEEF: It's what's for dinner.

gizmo said...

i'm going to mix things up a bit and say that i celebrate with lamb. i love a rare filet, don't get me wrong, but i can have that anytime. a very well prepared lamb chop is something that is very bit as delicious as a steak, but just feels a little bit more special to me.

FUNG! said...

Vik, I'd be surprised if you had any non-meat & potatoes friends. I love a good, bloody, melt-in-your-mouth steak.

Although, I don't know if I'm going right after graduation. I like to have my meat, red wine/beer, and potatoes, then transition into a state of hibernation. This is generally not acceptable after lunch--so unfortunately, I'll have to choose something else after graduation.

But on second thought I had Rudy's after my undergrad graduation.

Colin said...

For my graduation I went to Pappas Steak house on Westiemer. The food is the sh*t. I highly recommend it.

Unknown said...

For me, nothing says celebration like a nice platter of beef and chicken fajitas and a tasty frozen margarita with salt. Mmmmm.

Frink said...

I like a nice Italian meal for this kind of situations. Like a nice risotto or maybe ravioli stuffed with something good (not tacos) in a nice sauce.

n a t e said...

Vik, I wanna come! lol